Being Body Positive



Being a plus size woman can be really frustrating when it comes to buying fashionable clothes, and I can’t help but feel that the fashion industry slightly ignores the larger lady. I personally know how it feels to have a strong love for fashion and beauty, but often struggle to achieve the style or look you were hoping for, due to lack of options for purchasing. I have been told in the past that fashion isn't for me, and that I should find clothes that, "comfortably fit me" or, "flatter your curves"- when someone says these things to me all I am thinking is that they are saying camouflage your body's flaws... Uhhh NO!.

For this very reason I am so glad I have stumbled across the world of Plus size bloggers. I have seen that women who are also plus size can make a bold statement with their fashion choices, and also have their own individual style. Following these plus size bloggers has many advantages, as they constantly recommend the best places to shop for clothes, and some of them even have their very own clothing brand - which is even better and affordable.

As you may remember from my previous post, I mentioned a Plus size blogger – Whatlauraloves. Through browsing her page, and following her story, she has taught me to love myself and she encourages you to find positivity and develop your body confidence.

I believe that it is important to set yourself goals, work towards these goals, and eventually achieve said goals. There is no greater feeling than accomplishing something you have always wanted to do.  Be Brave - wear something out of your comfort zone! You will soon begin to realise that when out in the public, nobody aside from yourself notices your “flaws”. You will realise you are the reason you were insecure about those flaws.

I have battled with my weight for many years now, and what people fail to understand is, it’s not about just eating less and/or exercising more in order to shift the weight. I am one of those people who really struggles to shift it! I also have a PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome), which makes it also very difficult to lose weight, and this condition also comes with oily skin, excess facial and body hair growth, along with many other symptoms. However, PCOS is a topic I wish to keep for a whole separate post, as it’s something I feel strongly about.

I have always been really self-conscious about having my legs and arms out on show, and those who know me know that I rarely went anywhere without a cardigan covering my arms, or a pair of leggings to cover my legs. Well, not anymore! I have my legs out…I have my arms out…and, yes they are not toned; yes I have cellulite, stretch marks and scars; but they’re all a part of me. I am comfortable with who I am, and I am now body positive, and confident with the way I look.

In the world we live in, I understand that there are always going to be the people who don't understand the struggles associated with being plus sized, and usually these are the ones that aren't plus sized themselves. As @whatlauraloves states on her blog, "If you don't have confidence and belief in yourself and you still compare yourself to others, then it is going to be a constant battle against the media, advertising and fat phobic people who can’t understand that you have just as much right to life and to love yourself, in this moment, as anyone else."

Over the next week I will be venturing out to indulge in some shopping for some holiday clothes. Very recently, Primark have launched their very own plus size range. I am excited to go and see what they have to offer, review the items, and share this with you. I always used to love shopping In Primark, as the clothing is cheap and affordable, and it was a very sad day when I realised I could no longer wear their clothes as they didn't fit me. So, the fact they have released a plus size range excites me immensely.

So, to wrap up another post, I want to state that no one should ever be ashamed of their body, and no one should feel the need to have to keep their bodies hidden away. Anyone can wear anything they want; we’ve only got one life and it’s time to start living it. The quickest way to acquire self-confidence is to do exactly what you are afraid to do - prove yourself to yourself, not others.

Talk soon

Laura xxx

 










Photos taken by a Friend- Ems
Green dress- Newlook Inspire
 
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everybody has a swimsuit body!

The curse of internet trolls!

My Response to Fat Shaming