The curse of internet trolls!

[Trigger warning: contains hateful and Fat-Phobia comments]




Hello Guys,


So as I lay here in bed feeling completely sorry for myself full up with cold, I thought I would spend some time writing a post about something that is clearly aggravating me a little today - internet trolls! But without them, lets face it, the internet just wouldn't be the internet. The general advice is to ignore them, and to continue doing what you're doing. Content creators are told to get a thick skin & to not let the negativity hit home. That particular logic even has its own unofficial slogan: "haters gonna hate" - one of my favourite's. But lets face it, you're never going to be able to please everyone, so don't let peoples hate/opposition get in your way - just be you.


So firstly, let me tell you why I started my blog. I started my blog as I was starting a self-love journey...a journey that I wanted to share with the world. I'm plus size, I love fashion, I have PCOS and I generally love to spread positivity. 


Back to the haters! Why do they seem to think that hiding behind a computer makes it 100% okay to be completely rude to other human beings, with no consequences? It would be easy to shrug it off like, "trolls will be trolls" or, “it’s the way the internet is now, what do you expect?". Well for me this is simply not good enough. These trolls are real people, just like you or I, and are being really hateful to real people. Why??!!


In my eyes there are only 3 main reasons to explain why a hater hates:


1- They hate themselves 
2- They want to be you 
3- They see you as a threat

Other reasons they may have for hating could include: that you have something they don't, they think you don't deserve it, because they don't want to loose you, they can't get over the past, they can't get over you, they have nothing better to do in life, they think their life is not as exciting as yours, they need attention, because they are such bigots and simply because they can. People generally hate on others to make themselves feel better, and it’s wrong.



So no matter what, they're always going to think of themselves as the better person, compared to you. What gives them the right to judge and criticise you, using their own morals and values? ABSOLUTELY nothing!! They are jealous people, they're always going to curse and wish for your downfall, they see life as a zero-sum game. They are basically pretty messed up human beings.



They are messed up human beings who are unhappy with things in their own life, so they try to make someone else unhappy too - by being the nuisance that they are. They want to pull you down to their level of unhappiness, they want you to be disturbed and to not have peace. It's like they can't enjoy their life, so they want to make sure you can't enjoy yours either.

I have personally been the subject of hateful, fat-phobic comments such as:


"you don't have a body for modelling"
"I'm worried about your health!"
"how can you be healthy?"
"those clothes don't look good on your figure!"
"you're fat and ugly"

I could go on and on - I am subject to these kind of comments being left on my posts daily, as well as them sliding into my messages and my email address. But do you know what? It doesn't bother me in the slightest. 

I am completely comfortable in my skin, I have a "body", so therefore I have a body for anything. My health is of no concern to anyone other than myself. However, I do look after myself, I get regular exercise and I consider myself fit and healthy - just because I am plus sized does not give you the right to start being "concerned" about my health.

I wear clothes for myself, NOT for you. Everything I wear, I feel completely comfortable in, and I think I look good. Nothing you say will change my opinion on that - I know my worth!


Yes I am fat... get over it!!! I've not once said I'm not... I'm happy being fat... I'm sorry that my fat offends you, and that you're so unhappy with yourself that you feel the need to pick on others.

As for being ugly.. at least I don't have an ugly heart - and it is too bad you can't Photoshop your ugly personality.

I am aware that this has turned into a bit of a rant, rather than one of my standard blog posts. However, this is something that annoys me. It doesn't annoy in the respect that it holds me back or stops me from expressing myself online. It annoys me because I can see it happening to the people that I follow and people I know, and it's just not fair at all.  

Have you ever been subject to any hateful comments online? If so, please do get in touch and share your experiences with me. I always love to learn how people deal with things differently.

Thanks for reading!

 
Lau

xXx


You can follow me on Instagram by clicking here- perks_of_being_laura



Comments

  1. HATERS are always gonna HATE. Well said though girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura, just wanted to say what a fabulous post. I could not of summed it up better myself. It really gets me all wound up seeing the so called internet trolls. I also have a active blog and instagram like yourself so i understand how frustrating it can be. Is it ok to repost on my social media platforms please? Also I would love to speak to you about collaborating some time, if that interests you? Thanks, Susie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susie, Thank you so much! yes of course it's okay to share. And Yes I would be really interested in a collaboration sometime, drop me a message or email- I'm sure we can sort something. Thank you xx

      Delete
  3. You were spot on with this. Haters are taking over the world and they need to get over themselves. You are a very beautiful woman and it's your body, let them hate because at the end of the day it's your life, not theirs. Also, my wife has PCOS as well and she can definitely relate to that. We are both big people but we don't let it bother us, we live our lives the way we want and block out all the noise. I personally was teased as a kid but I never let it get to me because I may be big but I am very active and always was growing up. Like the old saying goes "Don't let the size fool you!" I look forward to your future post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment and sharing your experience with me. Unfortunately the haters are always going to be there, we just have to learn to deal with them and not let it get to us.
    Great saying and very true. Thank you again x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Everybody has a swimsuit body!

My Response to Fat Shaming